Sunday 22 May 2011

Am I TOO rested?

I ran a VERY gentle mile-and-a-bit yesterday morning as I'd been without food for the previous twenty hours.

After a quick shower I then sauntered up to my local hospital for an appointment to have a colonoscopy, just to check my internal workings were up to scratch.

When I was being checked in they gave me the heart rate and blood pressure check, and the nurse seemed a little surprised that my resting heart rate was lower than it should be (outside the normal range apparently).

Does this mean that I've been practicing my resting far too much and have become exceedingly proficient at it?

Was I far less worried than I should have been about the impending medical procedure?

Might the efficiency of my heart have been improved by my 505 days of consecutively running a mile each day?

Is there a potential problem with my heart?

While the nurse said that I should mention it to my doctor next time I see him (no need for a special appointment), I can't help thinking that the reason for my low resting heart rate is more likely to be one of, or all of, my first three above possibilities than the latter one, but who am I to judge?

Anyway, although I'm still not supposed to drive, drink alcohol or operate heavy machinery until at least lunchtime today (not that I anticipate doing them then, at least not all at once), this morning I planned for another gentle mile-and-a-bit, as I gather I still should have some anesthetic in my system.

However I felt so strong that I boosted the run to a pretty quick two-miler and I feel great!

Oh and I had the best results from my colonoscopy than the previous three I've had over the last eleven years too.

Do you think there might be something in this running a mile each day lark?

No comments:

Post a Comment