Monday 25 May 2015

My hero of today

This morning a few miles from home on a little bit longer run than usual, I met a man walking towards me. 

He walked with a stick because he couldn't bend one of his legs and he just had to sweep the leg out to the side and forward every other step he took. His opposite arm, that didn't carry the stick, he carried in the air as it was bent at a ninety degree angle.

As I came up to him I greeted him with a "good morning", to which he immediately responded in kind.

I then added that I thought that it was a lovely morning. He agreed and then laughed heartily.

I ran on feeling grateful to him.

Once again I realised how lucky I am to be able to run at all, let alone each day.

I was also inspired by that lone walker. He obviously had some challenges and yet here he was out for a walk at just after 8.00 on a Bank Holiday Monday morning, and he was as cheerful as can be.

My heroes don't tend to be celebrities who achieve incredible feats these days, but ordinary people doing ordinary things which, because of their personal challenges, require them to make extraordinary efforts to achieve what the rest of us take for granted. What's more they do it with a positive and cheerful disposition.

Thank you Langton Green man, you were my hero of today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment