Tuesday 26 May 2015

The barefoot experiment

When I read Christopher McDougall's excellent Born to Run book just over five years ago, I was intrigued by the whole barefoot running concept and also with the Vibram Fivefingers footwear.

However, feeling that it would be a bit of a radical shift, potentially resulting in injury, for me to go from cushioned trainers to barefoot, I didn't follow up my interest. Since then I've heard storied of runners who made an immediate shift and did in fact injure themselves, but my fascination and curiosity never fully went away.

So on my trip to Guernsey a couple of weeks ago, when I was invited to join a group of chi runners (I've had the chi running book for several years too but not followed up on it), I found myself running with 5 other runners, two of whom were running the forest trails with me wearing, and enthusing about, their Vibram Five Fingers.

My curiosity was immediately reignited, so I'm now the proud owner of these fascinating (can I really call them) shoes.

I've walked and run / walked just under a mile in them so far.

I'll give you an update when I've built up to running my first daily mile in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment