Monday 3 May 2010

Secrets, washing-up & MJ

Really enjoyed my run this morning! Had a nice chat with Nicky for our mile and a bit, particularly about the news we heard this weekend, which is amazingly exciting, but I'm unable to reveal as I'm sworn to secrecy for a couple of weeks. After that I did another three miles, which was also lovely.

I realised on this morning's run that I can still do Beachy Head in October, whatever anyone else says, however professional they are, or what authority and experience they have. If my goal is to run it (with a smattering of walking) and have a fabulous experience, it is absolutely in my own power and my hands (or possibly legs).

As it's Bank Holiday Monday today, I have had a great chill out morning, including what I refer to as disco washing-up, which involves just me in the kitchen with my iTunes turned right up doing the washing up and clearing up. I know it sounds weird but I love it.

The origins of disco washing-up are from my time living in Vancouver in the 80's, when a bunch of us used to get together after a meal, and we would throw plates, cutlery, pans from the "washer" to the "dryer" to the "putter away" in time to very loud music. We borrowed it from a scene from the movie "The Big Chill".

I also had a strange experience when a Michael Jackson song came on. I suddenly brimmed up with tears. Music is such a powerful communications channel. I could plainly hear through Michael Jackson's voice his pain, passion and also beauty. It hit me straight in the chest and knocked me sideways for a good couple of minutes.

I just love music. Sometimes just listening to it allows me a level of self-expression that I find it hard to access in other ways.

Blimey, I think I've drivelled on enough for about a week's worth of postings, so time to sign off.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tony
    Just caught up with your emails and 1 a Day blog.
    So i am following you. I am going to start running again after a dodgy period from next week! I found a cracking photo of us from when we met in Tonbridge.
    Go for the marathon - so what if you have to walk or crawl. Its good to hear you are out of you flat spot. I've been there for 6 months!
    See you soon - Gerry

    ReplyDelete