Tuesday 3 August 2010

Stuff my Dad taught me

A 5K run in the sunshine again this morning.

It's the second time in a couple of weeks that I've thought about my Dad on my morning run, even though he's been dead now for nearly 32 years.

What came up for me were the things I have learned from him, even if some of them I'm still only learning now. It just goes to show that your influence and effect on others is not just in the moment but can impact them forever.

Some of the key things my Dad has taught, and is still teaching , me are:

- not to worry. It can actually be bad for your health;

- not to smoke. It's definitely bad for your health;

- a good laugh, especially with Morecambe and Wise and Tommy Cooper, makes you feel good and connects you to others;

- honesty, truthfulness, loyalty and politeness are important;

- family is very, very important;

- do what you love to do. Life can be short.

1 comment:

  1. Aahh Tony. I like this a lot. You know I am not one for 'fluffy stuff' but I think if both our dads were alive today they would have had a lot in common! You would just need to add Tony Hancock to the list of comedians. I often think about the way my dad lived his life and wonder what he would have done in certain situations I find myself in today. I totally agree that the lessons we learned from our parents are sometimes only realised years later. Keep up the running and the blog!

    ReplyDelete