Wednesday 24 November 2010

The running grandfather

I'm still managing to run without my head torch so far, even though I'm heading out about 45 minutes before official sunrise these mornings. It's a little on the gloomy side but visibility is still there, but that may change any day.

What has changed, and has added a definite extra spring to my step is that I became a grandfather on Sunday. Gorgeous little Amelie was born to Toby and B after a challenging 36 hours for them.

I have seen Amelie twice now and I managed to have a cuddle with her last night for the first time. Just wonderful!

What has this got to do with running you may ask?

Apart from the extra spring in my step I mentioned earlier, I feel even more lucky to be out there running every morning as a grandfather. I do feel truly blessed.

I'm also aware that my own father missed out on becoming a grandfather by six weeks. He knew he was going to be one but he didn't quite last until the momentous occasion.

I should celebrate by entering another marathon or something equally challenging.

I feel immensely proud to be a grandfather, and prouder still to be a running grandfather!

No comments:

Post a Comment