Tuesday 22 June 2010

Thanks for the compliment

Apart from a "just over 4-miler" on Sunday, I'm still languishing at running the minimum one and a bit miles most days.

I accompanied my Mum to a flag raising ceremony yesterday to celebrate the start of National Armed Forces and Veterans Week. She has become quite a local celebrity since the article, on her involvement as a codebreaker at Bletchley Park in the 2nd World War, came out in the local paper a week or two ago. She jokes that it's only taken her 85 years to become famous.

I find it interesting that my Mum's reaction is very similar to that of several participants in a workshop I ran last week, feeling uncomfortable when being complimented or acknowledged. The old conditioning of "you mustn't show off" is firmly ingrained in our psyche.

However, playing it down or refusing to accept a compliment is a bit like refusing a gift that someone has gone to the effort of choosing and buying for you. Accepting the gift is not only polite but also makes the complimenter feel good for pleasing you.

This is also a reminder for myself, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment