Friday 10 December 2010

All that glitters...

at the moment, is probably ice!

When you've had snow, like we've had in sunny(?) Tunny Wells, there are three phases of weather conditions.

The first is always the snowfall, which can be quite light and at other times, like recently, can be varying degrees of heavy. I really enjoy running in this phase, although I have learned that long running tracksters are preferrable to shorts when the snow is deeper than your ankles. There is that magical feel of the white, white world, the crunch under foot and the world is beautiful.

I also love how people change personalities in heavy snow conditions. People stop trying to achieve at all costs, and start to open their eyes and minds to what's going on around them, and start talking to each other, even offering to help each other, which is fabulous.

If you've been one of those people who has had to spend the night in an unheated train or stuck in your car, trying to get home in heavy snow, I quite understand that you may well have a different perspective on the gift of a heavy snowstorm, and I quite understand.

The second or third phases of snow are interchangeable. Once the snow is on the ground, temperatures can then rise fairly quickly, and you go into the slushy phase. This isn't quite as fun for me. Everyone puts their community spirit back in the cupboard with the sledges, and cranks up the "strive at all costs" -ometer.

From a running perspective, soggy, cold socks and feet are not quite so magical as the white winter wonderland.

The third phase, which can often be the second phase, like it is now, is when the snow stops, but the temperatures remain cold or even get colder and the snow on the pavements and seldom-used roads compacts into ice. This is where we are now.

This morning I ran late, well after daylight, so it was challenging but fairly easy to choose my footing, although a lot easier when I stay away from my usual routes that are a little off the beaten track.

However, running in the dark, albeit with a headtorch, in these conditions, can require concentration, and anything that is dark, shiny and glittery usually indicates a severe health hazard unless you are wearing skates rather than trainers.

What I find interesting is that as I get closer to my biggest goal of my run a mile every day experiment (the goal changed from 1 month, gradually to a whole year), new challenges crop up to test me.

In the past I may well have caved in and thought that this isn't meant to be, and I should stop resisting. But my attitude has changed.

I now see these tests as opportunities to stretch myself, come further out of my comfort zone, and enjoy the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment