Wednesday 22 December 2010

Thoughts on achievement

Nine days left to complete the full house of running a mile each day of 2010.

As I suspected, the elements have reconfirmed my belief that when you get close to achieving a goal, your commitment does tend to get tested that little bit more. It's good for the character to dig in and plough on through.

What I like about this goal is that it is purely about a sense of achievement. Goals that involve material possessions often fade into insignificance once you have achieved them, and you're on to the next one. Non material achievements generally have staying power.

I can still remember winning the 100 yards, 220 yards (showing my age I know) and triple jump at school sports day when I was 12, and completing my first marathon in 1988. I also clearly remember the birth of all three of my children.

Anyway, I haven't achieved the year yet, and it's always worth remembering that nothing in this world is guaranteed, apart from death and taxes so they say.

So, time to stop dwelling on the achievement that I haven't yet achieved and to put my energy and my presence back into today, which is definitely here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment