Wednesday 29 December 2010

It's just a line

With only two more runs to complete a year of running at least a mile every day for a year, my mind seems to be focused on the achievement of the goal.

While I was in the shower this morning I thought of my finish line of achieving my goal, completing my 365th consecutive daily run of a mile or so, and I realised that it isn't a finish line, it's just a line.

Isn't that actually true of all goals and objectives? When you have reached your target in the past, can you remember a time when you then thought, "That's it now. I have no other target to aim for, no ambition, no vision or objective"?

My guess is that when you reach that point, you have pretty much given up on life and are preparing for the downhill drift into oblivion. Blimey, that sounds a bit dramatic, but at least I know what I mean.

Part of the fun of life is to have challenges, goals, targets, objectives and especially inspiring visions to aim for.

So while I can enjoy my self-created game of trying to complete a mile of running every day and feeling like I'm about to cross the finish line, once I get across it I know I'll be aiming for the next line with excitement.

Don't get me wrong, I'll celebrate crossing the line in two days and I will thoroughly enjoy the achievement, but it will be time to change the game for more fun and capers.

No comments:

Post a Comment