Friday 11 March 2011

Feeding the heart

I couldn't wait to get out the door for my run this morning.

I was sitting on my sofa just before 6.30 a.m. going through my morning ritual of writing my uncensored brain-to-pen-to-paper thought flow journal, which I do most mornings before hitting the pavement.

From my sitting room, with the dawn having just broken I was looking out over the tops of trees and roofs, watching a plane arc through the pale blue sky on its way to Gatwick airport.

I know it sounds rather poetic but I had a sense of wellbeing, gratitude and that "all is right with the world" that seemed to fill my chest, and I wondered how this feeling really does feel like my heart has physically expanded.

I wondered if I do all that I can to feed my heart.

I know that the aerobic effect of running exercises my heart and makes it healthier. I could be better with how I fuel it in terms of nutrition, but what else could I do to help it be open to this sense of wellbeing more often?

My writing does it, creating more "shining eyes" does it, being out in nature does it, reading inspiring books or articles does it, watching inspiring films or videos does it, sharing food, drink and laughter with family does it, music does it. I wonder what else?

My run was fabulous too. I went for two miles this morning and I pushed the pace quite hard, which felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment