Tuesday 26 April 2011

Be bold yet again!

As the school Easter holidays are now over, it was back to the "normal" routine in our household this morning. This meant doing my morning run at 6.30 a.m. again, which had been more like 8.00 a.m for the last two and a half weeks.

You would think that after running at 6.30 a.m. (and occasionally quite a bit earlier) right though the winter in the dark and the cold, sometimes on ice, I would find it quite easy now on my 481st consecutive day of running a morning mile, but not a bit of it.

I've just finished reading Steven Pressfield's two books (The War of Art and Do the Work) about resistance, how it is our real enemy that keeps us from living our "unlived life", and also that you can never vanquish it.

You have to overcome resistance anew every single day.

Steven Pressfield is spot on.

I have my run-a-daily-mile-plus habit embedded into my morning routine, to make it as easy as possible to do. I even lay my running kit out in a separate room before I go to bed so that I don't have to make a decision that might give me an excuse not to run , and so that I don't disturb anyone else in the house.

And yet, I still felt my resistance bristle this morning.

Why exactly am I still doing this?

Haven't I already proved my point?

There were other questions, which I can't remember, but there was also the feeling, I don't want to do this, this morning.

But, as Steven Pressfield says,

"The enemy is our chattering brain, which, if we give it so much as a nanosecond, will start producing excuses, alibis, transparent self-justifications, and a million reasons why we can't/shouldn't/won't do what we know we need to do.

"Start before you're ready."


And as Goethe also said,

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment