Friday 2 December 2011

Follow your bliss

A very different morning to yesterday.

I did my mile-and-a-bit at 5.30 this morning, with proper December temperatures, a clear sky full of stars, and patches of fog swirling around.

Last night I helped out with the fabulous Sarah's Runners again, so technically, as I went out early this morning, I've run three times in the past 24 hours.

I was thinking, on my run, that not only has running been the source of most of my main ideas that have had a significant impact on my life, it's also been one of the consistent themes, along with music and family, throughout my life.

This has been in the shape of various sports like football, rugby, hockey, squash and sprinting through my school days, to football again and longer distance running in my post school life.

Running has been there throughout all of those.

I don't want to give the impression that I was particularly brilliant at any of those things. I wasn't, but what's important is that I really enjoyed them all.

And whatever enthusiasm I have put into all those endeavours, I have been paid pack many many times over with the fun, enjoyment and additional unexpected benefits that I have gained from them all.

I think that's the key.

Do what you find fun, and you love to do, and opportunities will open up that you never anticipated.

As Joseph Campbell said,

"Follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment