Tuesday 6 December 2011

Turning work into play

I waited until it was light and went out with the fabulous Sarah's Runners again this morning.

I make that just over 18 miles I've run in the first six days of December.

Today, I have a Mark Twain quote on my mind.

"The work that is really a man's own work is play and not work at all. Cursed is the man who has found some other man's work and cannot lose it. When we talk about the great workers of the world we really mean the great players of the world."

This fits in with my philosophy of coaching people who hate to work.

We've all heard of those people who appear to have a dream job, because they say that what they do, doesn't feel like work. They would do it even if they didn't earn money doing it.

Isn't that the dream for all of us?

As a coach friend of mine says, with anything you look at, there are usually three ways that people do things, the hard way, the easy way and the middle way.

When it comes to work, the hard way is doing work that you hate.

The easy way is doing work that you love.

The middle way is making sure that even though you're not doing work that you love, you concentrate on loving how you do it.

My goal is to help as many people as possible move up the spectrum from hard to medium, or medium to easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment