Wednesday 1 September 2010

Two-thirds of a year

Today I completed my 244th consecutive day of running a mile each day and started the first day of my 9th month of doing it. In my book, I make that two-thirds of a year in the bag.

It doesn't seem at all bad when my original experiment was to see if I could possibly do it for 31 days.

It also doesn't matter that this morning my legs felt quite heavy, my left knee ached a little, I felt a twinge in my right quadricep muscle, and that I ran 1.3 miles about a minute and a half slower than I did a week or two ago.

What matters is that I am still doing it.

What matters is that every day I do it again, I am stretching what I believed I could do nine months ago, even further.

What matters is that every day I do it, I arrive home, pretty much every time, feeling better than I did when I left.

Nicky asked me this morning what would happen on 1st January, and I honestly don't know.

I don't know whether I will have still run every day to that point. Even if I have, I don't know whether I will want to carry on.

Having said that, right now I can't imagine making the decision to stop, at least without another challenge, experiment or adventure to replace this one.

Anyway tomorrow's another day and, I hope, another mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment