Saturday 24 September 2011

You never know

I ran past a bus stop this morning, and someone had drawn two Snoopy dogs, one big and one small (with their finger I guess) in the condensation on the glass.

It made me smile.

It got me thinking that whoever drew them must have known that the condensation on the glass wouldn't last long, only until it warmed up a bit. They therefore had no idea whether anyone may or may not see their little piece of art.

But I did, and it made me smile, and brightened my morning.

That reminded me of a conversation I had with someone earlier this week. They told me that the last time we spoke (last week), I listened to them and asked a couple of questions about a challenging relationship they were having.

They said that after our chat, they went back and saw the person in question, and on the spur of the moment they decided to do something that I would say was extremely compassionate and a gift to their challenging friend.

Now I don't know how much my questions and my listening helped cause that generous act of compassion, but maybe they did.

My point is that you never know how much your little artistic gesture or your gift of being interested and just listening to someone else, can make a difference to someone else's day, or even life.

No comments:

Post a Comment