Wednesday 17 June 2015

Making it a game

Yesterday I had a really long day of workshop delivery followed by dinner with the client, bookended by a couple of long car journeys, which meant me leaving home at 5.20 a.m. and getting back just after midnight.

In order to fit my morning mile in, this necessitated me stepping outside my door to start my run just before 4.30 a.m. 

Rather than allowing myself to feel that this was a real pain or that it was just too much to ask, I actually enjoyed my super early mile even more than I enjoy my usual 5.30 or 5.45 a.m. runs.

The extra challenge of getting out there earlier felt like an adventure, something a bit special. A bit like that feeling when you're getting up in the middle of the night to go on holiday, only without the holiday.

I've realised, more and more, recently that not only is my daily mile an experiment but it's also a game. The unusual challenges of squeezing my run in actually become more fun, because it's not like I have to run each day, it's just a choice I make on a daily basis.

I wonder how I can recreate that feeling of making it a game full of fun challenges into my business and other key areas of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment