Monday 22 June 2015

Run long, smile & learn

I got up to my 80th consecutive daily mile this morning after my enforced 10 day lay off in March. It's going to be quite a long time to get anywhere near my March total of 1,909 days, but hey ho.

On Saturday I went a little over my daily mile as I took part in the South Downs Trail Relay marathon. I did just over 7 miles of an incredibly hilly and absolutely stunning leg of the marathon. I loved it.

These days, even in a race, it's very rare that I actually race. This year I caught up with another runner from my local running group, who I didn't know that well, and ran the rest of the leg with her, taking in the view, chatting and getting to know a bit about her life and her running. I'd highly recommend it.

I've realised that another of the many many side benefits of running, particularly longer runs, is learning something new.

When I run long on my own I often learn more about myself.

When I run long with someone else I usually learn more about them.

And then there is the best of both worlds where I learn more about myself AND someone else.

For a before and after shot of a few of us from the group, see below...




No comments:

Post a Comment