Tuesday 15 February 2011

What was that outside force?

Enjoyed my 1.7 mile run in Brough this morning and then delivered first module of Leading in Tough Times three times.

Brough is a lovely small town in East Yorkshire, and I must have seen two cars during my early morning recce. I also can't speak highly enough of the Cave Castle Hotel, where I'm staying for the next couple of nights. It's really charming.

Anyway, I was reminded of Newton's first law of motion today, whilst reading Daniel Pink's book Drive.

"An object in motion will stay in motion, and an object at rest will stay at rest, unless acted on by an outside force."

I'm wondering, what is the outside force I used on myself at 5.30 this morning to move the object that is my body, that was most definitely at rest, into a state of motion?

Because one way or another, that object was definitely in motion within fifteen minutes.

Was it my alarm, the cup of tea, or the determination to stretch 410 days to 411?

Or d, all of the above?

1 comment:

  1. another way to look at it, perhaps, it that the object has been in motion for 410 days and would need an outside force to stop the force of inertia.

    ReplyDelete