Tuesday 3 February 2015

Outside not inside

I'm writing this from a very different perspective today.

I love to run outside. It doesn't matter what the weather is like and how much I may dread it as I rise from my bed in the dark. If I'm wearing the right clothing it is never a problem.

In the past 1,861 consecutive days that I've run my daily mile I have never come back from a run and wished I hadn't gone.

The two worst days of running that I remember were just over 4 years ago when I was up in the very northern part of Scotland in the winter on business. 

Because of the heavy snow conditions and the fact that the car park had turned into an ice rink, I had to run on a treadmill in the hotel gym. Not really my idea of fun.

I'm currently sitting in an institution where the inhabitants are unable to run a mile outside on any day.

They spend the vast majority of every day locked in a single room with one other occupant.

How lucky am I to be able to run my daily mile outside?

What do you take for granted that if it were taken away from you, you'd understand how lucky you've been and yet you'd never realised?

No comments:

Post a Comment