Sunday 1 February 2015

Taking my time

I did my last long run this morning before the half marathon in three weeks.

When I do my long runs I usually take my Garmin with me so I know how far I've run. The problem is that I can't resist looking at how long I've run for too, and therefore what pace I'm running, so I end up pushing myself.

The result is that I haven't enjoyed most of my longer runs recently.

This morning I still took my Garmin but I told myself that I would only look at the time I'd run and not the distance or pace. 

Somehow I managed to resist the temptation to look at anything other than the elapsed time, so I had no idea how far I'd gone or my pace, but I enjoyed the run so much more.

In the end I was a bit slower than the pace I would have liked to run but it doesn't really matter. After all I've only just got over a cold so I reckon I'll be fine when the half marathon arrives.

Measuring effort is generally more motivating than measuring achievements. 

When you consistently put in the effort, the achievements will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment