Wednesday 26 January 2011

Mark Twain was right

A few degrees cooler this morning but still OK running in my tee-shirt in Manchester.

I was reminded of a quote by Mark Twain today that goes,

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

This was because I had a sudden panic late last night that I didn't know the course material, which I was due to deliver today, well enough.

I then began worrying that today might be a disaster, that I would get bad feedback and I would then feel even worse.

Whilst running, I thought about the fact that I have delivered the material before with no problems, and also the fact that as long as I'm worrying, my focus is on me.

In my experience, delivering workshops works best when my focus is on the participants and I use the material as a structure.

So, I managed to let my worries go, commit to focusing on the participants, and to enjoying the experience.

Guess what.

It all went really well, and I really enjoyed it.

That Mark Twain knew what he was talking about, and I reckon I've proved that many many times!

Now, about me being an old man...

No comments:

Post a Comment