Saturday 22 January 2011

Pavlov's runner

Is it just me or is there something in all of us (those of us who run anyway) that when we see another runner, or runners, ahead of us, can't quite resist seeing if we can speed up a little to see if we might be able to catch them, and even overtake them?

It happened to me this morning. I feel like Pavlov's dog, not that I'm suggesting that I salivate when I see other runners, at least I don't think I do. I'd better check when it happens next time.

But I go through the whole thought process...

"No, that's silly and meaningless to see if I can catch them."

"It will interfere with my natural speed and rhythm of running, and might even make injury more likely."

"Oh, I seem to be speeding up. If I go just a tiny bit faster I might even catch them."

"Yay, how about that I overtook them right at the top of the hill. Result!"

"I'd better keep up the pace otherwise they might overtake me back again, and besides if I slow down they'll know I was just trying to overtake them and I'll look stupid."

All this happened to me this morning.

Is it that I'm competitive?

Or maybe, it's just that it introduces an element of a game into the run, which makes it even more fun and interesting. After all, challenges and stretching our comfort zones is good, isn't it?

Who am I trying to kid! I like to look good (don't we all?) and I just can't resist an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment