Sunday 2 January 2011

Growth = happiness

Oh joy. A sunny morning instead of the fog that's hung over us for the past days. Colder again yes, but nothing like the temperatures of the last several weeks.

It feels great to be out with what feels like a new experiment, a new challenge, especially with one so successfully achieved. I know it's just a continuation but it feels shiny, new and exciting.

I languished in bed before I strode out this morning, luxuriating with a cup of tea and reading a book. In the course of my reading I came across the following quote from William Butler Yeats:

"Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that, but simply growth. We are happy when we are growing."

This explains what I have gained from my mile each day experiment. I feel like I have grown on a daily basis with each additional day and mile I've added.

Although I have to all intents and purposes achieved my goal of running every day for a year, with each new day I'm adding at the start of this new year, I feel like I'm growing even more.

So Happy New Year to one and all, and here's to a year filled with growth for all of us (and I don't mean the type of growth we've just been through from overindulging at Christmas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment