Monday 12 January 2015

An easier way to improve your form

On my long run yesterday as the run progressed and tiredness started creeping in, I noticed how my running form worsened. 

I was picking my feet up less, starting to feel an ache in my left shoulder and I realised that I was hunching and rounding my shoulders.

I tried to concentrate to lift my feet a bit higher, stretch my head and neck upwards and push my shoulders down and back but still keep them relaxed.

The only thing is that it's difficult to force yourself to do all those things when you are feeling steadily tireder as the miles and the time go by.

I've come across this scenario before, and I've found that the forced changes I describe above don't actually work that well.

When you first notice your loss of form, whether that's from an ache in your shoulder, your feet barely clearing the ground or whatever triggers your initial awareness, there is a better way to manage it.

Just notice whatever catches your attention most, perhaps it's your feet barely clearing the ground. 

Then give yourself a score from 1 to 10, where 10 represents the perfect amount of foot clearance and heel lift, and 1 represents your toes scraping the ground as you bring your back foot forward.

Then don't try to change anything, just be aware of your score and keep monitoring it to see if it stays the same or changes.

I pretty much guarantee that without trying to increase your score it will gradually rise, and without the pressure of trying to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment