Wednesday 28 January 2015

The power of the streak

I've been lucky in the last five and a bit years since I started my mile each day experiment. There have been very few days when I've run when I've not been feeling good. In fact there have been more days when I've struggled a bit with a physical injury than when I've actually felt ill.

This morning was one of those rare mornings when I didn't feel in full health and I ran with a couple of tissues in hand to deal with my nose that was running quicker than my legs.

I like it that I still push myself to do it even when I don't really feel up to it.

I'm fully aware that there will be a day (perhaps tomorrow or maybe ten years from now) when I actually can't physically run that day.

But for now the power of the running streak, knowing that I've now run for 1,855 consecutive days without missing one, keeps me going. After all, what if I had decided not to run this morning and then felt better tomorrow.

I know I would have felt disappointed that I had given up just for that moment of self pity.

And now, even though I don't feel great, I still get a lift knowing that despite the way I felt I pushed through it and have added that extra day, and still going strong(ish).

No comments:

Post a Comment