Friday 30 January 2015

The best two days

I found myself wishing away the last couple of days of January this morning, caught myself and then stopped and examined what I was doing.

I know that a lot of people find January hard. 

The excitement of Christmas is over, the credit card bills from Christmas are coming in, it's dark and it's cold and the thought that it's going to be like this for at least another five or six weeks is depressing. Colds and flu are everywhere, and even if you are well it feels like everyone around you is sneezing, coughing and/or complaining.

But what if you knew that these last two days of this month were the last two days you had left to live?

After you got over the initial shock and the feeling sorry for yourself, wouldn't you realise that these two days ahead of you were the best two days of your life? After all, they are your one chance to do whatever it is you still want to do. 

You have the chance to live and savour every moment, every experience, every interaction with another human being, with nature, to be completely present to the miracle that is life.

It's funny how considering death can bring these things into perspective, when all those things I just wrote in the sentence above are true right now even if these aren't the last two days of your life.

It seems a shame to waste any day of your life by wishing it was gone soon when you have no idea how many days you do have left.

As Steve Jobs once said, "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life." 

No comments:

Post a Comment