Friday 9 January 2015

Colour, balance & connection

When I was young I always wanted everything to be black and white. It just made everything simpler because then I knew what was the right thing to do. I liked everything to be very clear and therefore easy to make decisions.

Over time I began to realise that black & white doesn't really exist in the real world. Although I like black & white photography, it can portray moods and depth incredibly powerfully, it doesn't show reality.

If you were to see the actual scene that a black & white photo represents, it will definitely have colour in it. On dark stormy days, or even at night with my running head torch, I can always find colour.

I used to also struggle with the question of whether I was a people person, which I definitely was in my youth, or someone who likes his own company, which I have grown into latterly. But I still love being around people too.

With the insight that there are always many colours and shades of colour (including black & white), I've realised that I am both a people person and someone who enjoys being alone.

Running has been key to me finding this realisation that life is all about balance, because I love to run alone and I also love to run with other people.

Running with others allows me to connect with them and get to know them. Running alone allows me to connect with myself and get to know who I am. Both add incredible value to my life.

Running has also led me to realise that connection is one of my core values.

No comments:

Post a Comment