Sunday 11 January 2015

Race to the Stones

I did my longest run in the last ten months this morning and the best thing about it was that I didn't struggle.

The last two long runs I've done I found really tough and almost hobbled the last few miles.

I'm feeling encouraged because it's now six weeks until the Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon and I'm within two miles of the distance.

The other good thing is that yesterday I got excited when I discovered the Race to the Stones, a 100km ultra marathon held over two days in July. 

Six months isn't long enough for me to prepare for an ultra, having not done a marathon for almost eight years and not even up to running a half marathon yet.

However, if I aimed for the one in July 2016 that would be perfect. So this morning's run made me feel more positive and that the Race to the Stones could be on the cards.

I have always hankered after doing an ultra marathon. I'm not sure why when I've generally found marathons so tough, but theres's something about an ultra that calls me.

I'm not particularly interested in going the triathlon route, at least at the moment, but an ultra is different. It's pure running and that's what I do.

The other thing is that 100km equates to just over 62 miles and I will be 61 by the time July 2016 comes around.

It feels like the right challenge at the right time to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment