Thursday 8 January 2015

Experiments and possibility

Yesterday my daily visioning experiment came unstuck, but that's why I like experiments, they don't carry the same burden of the threat of failure. 

By their very nature experiments conjure up an image for me of lab technicians in white coats trying different approaches and constantly adjusting them to move closer to the result they want. There is no failure just new learning and progress.

Looking back on yesterday I know why it didn't quite work. It was right when I chose my 5 actions for the day. I remember feeling at the time that they would be challenging to get through, especially as one of them had the word complete in the title and it's been a more complex task requiring more thought and time than I had anticipated.

I love the word possibility, it goes well with experiment. When I state an intention to be a possibility for something, it says that it is something that's possible but not definite. It recognises the fallibility of being human. 

If you're like me when you state a firm commitment and you fail to honour it you feel bad and a bit hopeless. Being a possibility for something acknowledges that you can be it but there is also a chance that you may not always live up to that hight standard.

In hindsight I realise that as soon as I wrote my actions yesterday and imagined my success, one of the feelings I had was that it would be very difficult. At that point my feeling of possibility evaporated. 

Today I intend to choose my actions keeping my possibilities intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment