Monday 26 January 2015

The hat and the missing gloves

I've thought for a long time that I need to wear gloves when I run and it's a bit cool. This morning I didn't have my gloves with me so I had to run without them.

I did have a woolly hat with me so rather than wear it on my head I put one of my hands in it, and when the other hand got cold I moved the hat to the other hand.

Eventually I got bored moving one hand into the hat and then the other hand, back and forth, so instead I just carried the woolly hat in one of my hands.

I learned a couple of things from this morning's run .

I learned that I don't have to have gloves to run when it's a little cold. In fact I can run without gloves when it's zero or 1 degree.

The other thing I discovered was that just holding my hat loosely in my hand warmed my hand up. I didn't have to cover my hand with it.

What are the even bigger lessons here?

One big lesson is that I often make decisions that things are just the way they are, and then I never question those decisions again. 

I decided one time that as it was a bit cool I'd better wear gloves. I then interpreted that decision to mean that I must always wear gloves now whenever it's a little cold. This morning I discovered that this isn't true.

How many other decisions have I made, and I'm now living with the results of those decisions, even though they're not actually true?

Another lesson I learned this morning was that when I want to protect myself, my usual approach is to put some sort of shield or screen, that serves as a barrier, between me and the outside world, in this morning's case a pair of gloves.

But I found that just by holding something (my woolly hat) loosely without putting anything between me and the outside world I was just fine.

What could the implications of these two bigger lessons be to me, and to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment