Wednesday 14 January 2015

Easier than we think?

In 2012 I managed to write a blog post every day for three months. Since then I haven't managed to write so consistently. I've often thought that I want to write something and then not come up with anything to write.

Nine days ago I decided that I wanted to post something every day again, just because I believe that the practice of writing every day is good for my writing. So it's for my benefit more than for anyone who might happen to read my posts.

What I'm curious about though is what has changed from my prolific writing period in 2012, to the wilderness since, and now to my new regular writing habit.

What's funny is that nothing's actually changed. I'm not suddenly inspired where I wasn't before. 

The only difference is that I've decided to write every day and I've set a trigger for the habit. I do it after I've done my early morning run, after I've showered and once I'm dressed and have a cup of tea ready.

That's it.

I still have no idea most mornings what I'm going to write, but that doesn't seem to matter. All that matters is my decision to write and me sitting down and starting.

It's actually very much like my mile each day habit, which today is at a count of 1,841 days. I had no idea how long I would do it for when I started, apart form my initial experiment to see if I could do it for 30 days. 

I just decided to do it not knowing where it's taking me, and I revalidate that decision each day.

Maybe that's just how life works? Perhaps it's easier than we often try to make it?

No comments:

Post a Comment