Tuesday 13 January 2015

Mistaking the fuel for the fire

I've never come back from a run and wished I hadn't done it. 

I've sometimes felt tired, especially after a particularly long run, but I always have a sense of achievement in having completed my daily mile and the rest of my day is better for it.

However, sometimes when I'm on my run I can slip into the mindset of just get this over with, it's another chore on my list of things to do today. 

When that happens I don't make the most of my run, which is such a powerful source of gratitude and creativity for me when I allow it to be.

Have you ever got caught in the trap of being really busy running round doing a lot, having lost sight of why you're doing it in the first place? You're frantically trying to get to the end of the task, or the day, chasing a feeling of satisfaction and that you've spent your time well today?

Me too, and frankly it's a waste.

When I'm running or doing activities in my day, it's an opportunity to actually enjoy doing the activities, noticing what I'm seeing, hearing, feeling, maybe even tasting and smelling. A chance to notice opportunities or possibilities to enjoy the activity even more, or even think of what's important about this task to me.

For me possibility is like the fire that keeps my day and my life alive. Alive to why I'm doing the tasks and activities.

The doing of the tasks, all that busyness, is just the fuel that keeps the possibility alive.

No point in frantically collecting and loading that fuel when you don't have a fire to put it to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment