Thursday 24 November 2011

Dare to chase

As I ran past the entrance to some woods this morning, two dogs decided to chase me, barking in, what seemed to me, a threatening manner.

When you run away from dogs, I find that generally they carry on chasing you, and there is always the threat that they might bite you.

Sometimes of course, if they're guarding their home turf, they will get bored when you've gone too far past their territory, and then give up and saunter home.

However, you have to run fast to get away from them, and there is always the possibility that they won't get bored and think this is rather fun.

The best thing to do, in my experience, and what I did this morning, was to completely change direction, pull myself up to my full height and run towards the chasing dogs.

They lost a chunk of their bravery once they felt that they were the ones being chased.

They still barked but they no longer chased me.

Don't you find it's the same when you walk or run towards all your fears?

There is a brilliant film advert called DARE that is about moving towards your fear. It's well worth a watch. It's only 89 seconds long.

No comments:

Post a Comment