Thursday 17 November 2011

Have a nice day

Three people, all walking dogs, said "Good morning" to me this morning on my run.

There are two types of people, those that say "Hello" or "Good morning", and those that don't.

Actually that's not really true.

What is true is that we can all sometimes be in the mood or the space to notice others and say "Good morning", and sometimes we are so wrapped up in our own world, that someone speaking to us is an unwelcome interruption, which we ignore.

I know that many British people don't like the North American habit of saying "Have a nice day", because they think that it is just an automatic response and as such is insincere.

Having lived in Canada for nine years of my life, I don't see it that way. I like it.

In most cases, although people do say it automatically it still comes across as sincere to me.

Take politeness in general. When we hold the door for someone or give up our seat for an elderly person or a pregnant woman, or say "please" or "thank you", those are also automatic responses that we have been taught.

But it still makes us stop and think, however briefly, of another person.

Someone saying "Good morning" to me, especially presented with a smile, can give my whole day a lift.

It creates a connection, however brief, and lifts my spirits.

So the next time you pass someone when you're out, let go of your inner concerns for a few seconds, notice the person and wish them a "Good morning", or afternoon or evening.

You might just make their day.

You might even make yours.

And by the way, do have a nice day. Yes, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment