Friday 11 November 2011

Making space for clarity

I completed my 680th consecutive day of running a mile this morning.

I was thinking on my run of how I was struggling with lack of clarity yesterday. The first thing I had to do to allow more clarity was to create more space.

Space in terms of removal of physical clutter.

Space in terms of dealing with emails.

Space in terms of dealing with tasks.

The most important part of all those things wasn't completing them. It was removing the clutter from my presence.

In the case of physical clutter, it was putting the most obvious things back in their places, and piling the rest out of sight but with a task on my to do list to spend time sorting the rest of the pile.

In the case of emails, it was moving the most important ones to an Actions folder and either adding them to my to do list or putting them in my diary with a definite date & time. Then it was putting the rest in a Temporary folder, once again with an action to spend time clearing the temporary folder.

In the case of tasks, it involved either adding them to my to do list or putting them in my diary again.

Now the most important thing is to make sure all physical clutter, emails and tasks get dealt with or allocated as they arrive.

My head is much clearer now.

No comments:

Post a Comment