Thursday 10 November 2011

Why fun is important

Fun is one of my core values, as it also happens to be for many of my clients.

In other words it's something that is always present when our work and our lives are really satisfying and fulfilling.

Fun means something slightly different for each of us.

For some it's carrying out practical jokes on others.

For others, it's sharing funny stories of things that have happened to them, or even others.

It can also mean having a good belly laugh at a comedian, or even playing sport with a friend or group of friends.

One of the most important things for me is that fun brings an air of lightness, lifting some of the heaviness or intensity that I can get drawn into when I'm concentrating on doing a good job.

There's a quote I like from Margot Fonteyn -

"The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative and the second is disastrous."

I thoroughly agree, and I think that it's important to not take yourself seriously even when you're undertaking serious work.

It's something I have to be reminded of on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment