Wednesday 2 November 2011

What lenses are you wearing?

On my run this morning, I was thinking about yesterday evening riding my bike in the dark.

Whenever I ride my bike I wear a pair of sunglasses that have 3 sets of interchangeable lenses.

I wear them to stop bugs, dust or small stones thrown up from a car flying into my eyes.

When it's really sunny I wear my darker lenses, when it's cloudy with odd glimpses of sun I wear the orange lenses, and when it's really overcast or dark, like last night, I wear my yellow lenses, which brighten everything up.

It made me think about the lenses that we choose to wear behind our eyes, as well as the ones in front.

When I'm in a bad mood, I'm dreading what's about to happen, or I'm upset or feeling like a victim, it's like looking through my darkest sunglasses even though it's overcast or dark outside.

I'm unable to see any possibility at all. In fact I can hardly see anything outside myself at all. The only things that are really visible to me are the pain or discomfort inside me.

When I'm on my metaphorical bicycle in dark conditions with my darkest lenses it doesn't really feel possible to be going anywhere on my bike. The safest option is to get off it and push the bike home.

However, when I wear my yellow lenses, even cloudy skies appear to me that there is a glow of light trying to break through, and in autumn the colours of all the turning leaves are turned up to technicolour level.

Like my trusty pair of cycling glasses with the interchangeable lenses, we get to choose what tint the lenses are that we wear behind our eyes too.

What colour lenses are you looking out from behind your eyes with at the moment?

What difference would it make if you swapped them for your rose-tinted or sunny yellow ones?

What might you be able to notice that you can't even see now?

I bet you could go even further on your bike and the ride would be fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment