Monday 31 October 2011

Running towards your fears

I was out shortly after 5.00 a.m. running my mile this morning, as I had a potential 2-hour drive ahead of me to coach a group of teaching assistants all day on delivering 21st Century Legacy's Be the Best You Can Be! programme.

During my run I saw two cars and three animals, one real and two imaginary.

The real animal was a fox, who trotted a few yards out of my way and then just turned to watch me go by, and the two imaginary ones were a dog which turned out to be a shadow from a streetlamp, and another creature of uncertain species, which turned out to be 2 reflectors on a street name.

There's something about the dark that brings out the darker side of our imagination. Trees sprout limbs, creatures are concocted from all sorts of shadows and even wind noises, and rustling leaves bring to life people who's main aim is our demise.

So what can we do when we're feeling in a dark place and our imagination is conjuring up our own demons?

Well, I don't know about you, but what worked for me this morning was to run towards my demons and to illuminate them by shining my head torch on them.

What helps you to illuminate your demons?

No comments:

Post a Comment