Wednesday 12 October 2011

The trap of others' problems

I had a flash of realisation on this morning's run that at one point on my workshop on Monday I got caught in the deadly trap of trying to solve one of the participant's problems.

It's an easy one to get caught in. As humans, we have an almost instinctive reaction that takes us to immediately to trying to solve others' problems.

In my experience, it's far more valuable to help another person explore their problem a bit deeper by asking questions than leaping straight in with your own ideas.

Quite often the problem that's on the surface turns out to be just a symptom. By asking questions, you help others to get to the root of the issue, and solve it themselves.

A far more useful thing to do.

And yet, I know I'll get caught in the trap again sometime.

The trick is to catch myself sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment