Thursday 27 October 2011

What young children taught me

I happened to be in the Turbine Hall at the Tate Modern yesterday for a short time before a coaching appointment.

There were various people standing looking at the exhibit and others sitting on the floor just looking.

But what struck me was that every single young child, that was old enough to walk, in this huge open space was running around, either with a friend, or in some cases just on their own.

They were different ages, boys and girls, but I couldn't see one child that didn't just run around at some point in the ten minutes I was in there.

What is it that makes us want to run when we are young and are in a large open space? And when we were children, we didn't say, "I don't like running. I don't see the point of just running for the sake of it."

Young children run just for the sake of it. They run for the for the sheer joy and exhilaration of it. They run because it makes them feel alive and it feels like fun.

What do you do that has no point to it, but you do it for the sheer joy and exhilaration of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment