Saturday 8 October 2011

What if this was your last day?

Near the end of my 2-mile attempt to run quietly this morning, I remembered yet another profound thing that Steve Jobs said in his speech to Stanford University students in 2005.

He said that when he was 17, he read a quote that said "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right."

Since then, for 33 years, he looked in the mirror every morning and asked himself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer was no for too many days in a row, he knew he needed to change something.

Now, I don't think he meant getting his will updated and saying goodbye to everyone. Maybe it's like thinking, if I only had one more day of being able to choose what I could or couldn't do, what would I choose to do today?

I would imagine it might be something like spending time with people you love, letting them know how much you love them, and doing what you love doing.

If today was the last day of your life, would you want to do what you're about to do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment